December 26 - 28

The day after Christmas we loaded up early and headed for Indiana to see Adam's family for Christmas. It was a 6 hour trip to Uncle Kevin and Aunt Susan's house, but it was worth it to see everyone. Laurie, Carlo, and Sofia came from Ireland and we couldn't miss the opportunity to see them. It was also nice to visit with cousin Nicholas, Grandma Daniel, and Ed.
We made it just in time for a little visiting before dinner.


Grandma Rajala with cousin Sofia and Claire


Claire had fun in Great Grandma's arms

Adam had a great dinner and I enjoyed some plain ham and a potato - I know it sounds plain, but it was a good dinner to me and I don't say that very often these days. After a quick nap it was time for presents and pictures. Claire got more great toys that she now plays with everyday.


Sofia was excited to show us her gifts


Family Christmas Picture

Sofia and Claire loved each other from the moment they met. And here's the proof:



We stayed over Saturday night and left at about noon on Sunday. So, we figured that if the weather held off we would make it home by 6. Well, the weather did not hold off. An hour and a half into our trip we came to a complete stand still. After realizing that we weren't going to move any time soon I got pretty worried about what was going to happen once the sleeping baby awoke. She slept for a half hour and, as usual, woke up. I entertained her for a bit and then figured that since we were stopped I might as well feed her so that we didn't have to make another stop later in the trip. Then there was the challenge of changing her in the car. We had a hard enough time trying to find places to change her during our travels so far, let alone that we were now stuck on an expressway and it was snowing and very cold. But my problem solving skills kicked in and we made it work. The bright side is, now I know that it is possible to change her in the car and we don't have to go in and out of stores and restaurants trying to find changing tables. After getting that all sorted out Adam and I took turns entertaining Claire so that she would stay happy. An hour later.....we started moving, but by this time the road that was just snowy was now a sheet of ice since there weren't any cars moving over it for a couple hours. After 30 min. of driving VERY slowly we decided that it would be best to stay at a hotel and get an early start in the morning after the snow storm was supposed to be over. So, we spent the night in Gas City. The hotel had great service - they gave us a good rate and opened up the breakfast room so I could wash Claire's bottles. On our way home we saw many cars off the road and tracks into the ditch, which assured us that we had done the right thing by staying. We made it home in good time the next morning and with 1 diaper to spare.

Comments

Popular Posts