Memorial Day Weekend

 

Right around the beginning of April each year I start to get the itch.  I just can't wait to get away from home for a bit, play all day, sit by a camp fire and eat good summer food.  We set out late Friday morning for the campground and after dropping off the camper and getting Chloe comfortable, we headed to the zoo.  It was a hot day and we were running behind schedule, so we headed directly for Africa.  The first order of business that Claire was not going to let us forget was to visit the giraffes and feed them some lettuce.  She was so excited to do this, but when the time came, she was scared of their long tongues.  Lucas was also a little timid around the huge, beautiful creatures so we didn't hang out for too long.  As soon as the giraffes were fed, Claire was sure to remind us that we would see the birds next.  Lucas enjoyed making monkey noises to all the monkeys.  




 

 Apparently, no trip to the zoo is complete without a ride on the carousel....or two or three.

Soon it was time to get back to the campground to get ourselves settled.  Before we knew it the first day was done and it was time to get the kids clean and in their jammies.  This was the part I was dreading and worried about.  Both the kids going to sleep in close quarters.  I figured we wouldn't sleep much all weekend, but was pleasantly surprised when nighttime and nap times were thrown completely off routine.  We even managed to figure out how to get both the kids clean at the end of a few hot, sweaty days.  Since the guys had tee times for Saturday morning, the weather was hot and stormy.  They can never seem to get good weather for their round of golf each time we visit Fort Custer.  The girls headed out for some shopping so that we could keep the kids busy without being confined to the campers.  Once Daddy could take over kid duty, I hit the bike trails for the first time in four years.  Surprisingly, I still remember how to ride, but unfortunately I didn't ride well enough to avoid injury.  I banged up my knee and leg pretty badly which looks great with all the summer dresses I've been wearing for parties and weddings.  Other than that though, it felt great to finally ride again!  We also visited the beach for a while to cool down and the kids went for a couple of rides in the bike stroller. 


After dinner on Sunday, it was cake time to celebrate my birthday which happen to fall directly on Memorial Day this year.  The kids really enjoyed eating the frosting off their pieces and then they had to go directly to the showers all purple and sticky.  The following day, it was time to head home.  Even though it was a great trip, we were relieved to get out of the heat and get back to all the comforts of home.



Comments

Popular Posts